The assurance comes amid increased reports that Zambia is behind in terms of preparations to host the event compared to Zimbabwe despite the government repeatedly denying this.
"We are determined to host the event because we know that this will give us an opportunity to market our tourism products. As government, we will ensure that this event becomes a success not only to Zambians but also to international visitors," he was quoted as saying by the paper.
While acknowledging that there were still some challenges hampering the growth of tourism and preparations for the event, the Zambian vice-president said the government has started addressing the challenges such as high visa fees.
Recently, Minister of Tourism and Arts Sylvia Masebo assured that the country was ready to host the event and that there is nothing to worry about the slow preparations.
She said experts from the UNWTO experts have been coming to inspect the preparations and have so far done two inspections and have expressed satisfaction with the progress.
Zambia's tourist capital Livingstone situated in the southern part of the country will co-host the event together with the Zimbabwean town of Victoria Falls. (Xinhua)
Meanwhile Karim Wade, the son to Senegal's ex- president Abdoulaye Wade, was on Thursday questioned again for over ten hours by the gendarmes who are investigating the illegal wealth acquisition by some Senegalese individuals.
The new questioning went on amid protests by those who support the current regime who called for justice to be done and Karim Wade's supporters who gathered outside the questioning venue to express their support for him.
Wade, a former infrastructure and transport minister between 2009 to 2012, had already been questioned last Thursday by the gendarmes, before being prohibited from leaving the national territory due to the ongoing investigations.
Wade is battling allegations of illegal enrichment, together with four other ministers including Oumar Sarr who was an ex- urbanization minister, ex-Mines Minister Abdoulaye Balde, ex- Foreign Minister Madick Niang and ex-Energy Minister Samuel Sarr.
According to the procedure, after the questioning, the files will be sent to the special prosecutor of the court for fighting against illegal enrichment (CREI) who will request the court to determine whether the suspects have a case to answer.
CREI will sent a request to the concerned individuals to prove the origin of their wealth within one month. Their wealth will be declared illegal if they fail to prove its origin.
If found guilty, the accused risk a jail term ranging from five to 10 years and a fine that is equivalent to the wealth that they may have acquired illegally. (Xinhua)